This ½ day course will be useful if you support people who have learning disabilities and associated medical conditions (e.g. complex physical needs, epilepsy and dementia) and have difficulties eating and drinking.
Objectives/Aims of Course
By the end of this course, you will be able to support people with Learning Dissabilities and asscociated medical conditions who have difficulty eating and drinking.
This course will cover;
- Understanding the normal swallow
- The physical health problems that can arise when a person has difficulty eating / drinking
- How to appropriately modify someone’s diet to reduce health risks
- How to recognise when a person has difficulties with eating and drinking and how to make a referral for assessment
- The importance of good oral health
- Achieving good posture for eating and drinking
- Providing a good mealtime environment
- Reflecting on the challenges of supporting and caring for a person who has difficulties eating and drinking
This course will provide a certificate in training for Dysphagia.
Who Should Attend (including pre-requisites)
This course is designed for anyone wanting to know how to reduce the risks associated with working with someone who has difficulties with eating, drinking and swallowing.